OraTaiao submission on Government Policy Statement on Land Transport 2018/19-2027/28
OraTaiao: The New Zealand Climate and Health Council wishes to submit to the Ministry of Transport on the Government Policy Statement on Land Transport for 2018/19 – 2027/28 (GPS2018).i
Climate changes fundamentally threaten human health and wellbeing; yet well-designed climate action can mean greater health and fairness in both the short and longer term. Transport is integral to this. There are close links between transport, climate and health, where eg.:
- active and sustainable modes of transport (such as walking and cycling) positively affect health;
- the current reliance on private motor vehicle transport has negative impacts on health through greenhouse gas emissions, road traffic crashes, air and noise pollution and increased sedentary time.1
This submission relates to the GPS2018 and:
- acting on climate change
- prioritising active transport
- prioritising public transport
- the opportunity costs of poorly cost-effective roading choices including lost health gains
- the importance of making transport user hierarchies and the NZ Health Strategy integral to GPS2018's Strategic direction and Objectives.
Read the submission here.