The health sector has a large carbon (and other greenhouse gas) emissions footprint from energy use, travel, waste, and resource use.
Health systems around the world (e.g. the UK National Health System) have recognised that they are contributing to health-harming climate change, and have committed to delivering climate-friendly services into the future. The 2020 Healthcare Climate Challenge is a leadership pledge by Hospitals, Health Centers and Health Systems from across the globe, see here.
Beyond climate-protection, carbon reduction and sustainability in the health sector can deliver many benefits to the health sector such as cost savings, quality improvements, and health gains for staff and the wider community, more info here.
Sustainable Healthcare Forums
OraTaiao and the Sustainable Health Sector National Network (SHSNN, see below) have hosted two national Forums on Sustainable Healthcare in Aotearoa NZ - in November 2017, and May 2019.
- Recordings and presentations from the first Sustainable Healthcare in Aotearoa-New Zealand Forum (2017). See here.
- Recordings and presentations from the second Sustainable Healthcare in Aotearoa-NZ Forum (2019). See here.
The Sustainable Health Sector National Network NZ (SHSNN)
- OraTaiao works closely with a network of health professionals around Aotearoa that are working to embed carbon reduction and sustainability into the NZ health sector. This group is called the Sustainable Health Sector National Network (SHSNN). The relationship is formalised in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) you can find here.
To find out about joining SHSNN please find contact details in the MOU.
Offset Your Unavoidable Carbon Emissions
- In 2013 OraTaiao launched Forests for Health NZ as a way for health professionals to offset their carbon emissions. Details here. Offset carbon emissions here.
- Report on sustainability and carbon reduction successes in some DHBs in Aotearoa-NZ (2017). Download PDF here.
- Practical tips on what health professionals can do to address climate change. See here.
- How to make the health sector more sustainable and climate-friendly. See here.
- Video on health sector sustainability at Barts NHS Trust, UK.