- Educate and encourage patients and colleagues in climate change action.
- Offset your carbon emissions - go to https://ekos.org.nz. Here you can offset your emissions due to air travel, road travel and annual electricity usage. We encourage you to request your employer to act responsibly and consider carbon-offset costs as part of any healthcare-related business travel.
- Write letters for eligible patients to get subsidised home insulation: www.energywise.govt.nz/funding-available/insulation-and-clean-heating
- Make Green Prescriptions (www.greenprescription.org.nz) truly green—advise the health AND climate benefits of increasing transport-related physical activity and eating less red meat.
- Reduce your workplace footprint—see www.1010uk.org/business
- Green your practice—use the NZ-specific 'Toolkit for Greening Your Practice' by Drs Rebecca Randerson and Rochelle Phipps, to help individual medical centres and others make environmentally responsible changes day-to-day that are easy and cost-effective: Greening Your Practice Toolkit.
- Be informed; start with www.tcktcktck.org
- Offset flying, driving and electricity related emissions using https://ekos.org.nz
- Live smart and healthy—measure and reduce your own household footprint www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/sus-dev/25-steps-towards-sustainability/page1.html. Start with 10% less - see www.1010uk.org
- Use your legs or public transport to reduce car use.
- Don’t fly (unless you have no choice - then offset your emissions).
- Retrofit home insulation.
- Install sustainable heating.
- Buy energy efficient appliances.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle and compost organic waste.
- Live as close as possible to work and school.