Joint NZ Health Professional's Call for Action on Climate Change and Health
Eighteen of NZ’s most prestigious health professional organisations are today calling for action on climate change and health, pressing for New Zealand to take urgent action on this critical health issue.
These health groups represent tens of thousands of doctors, nurses, midwives, public health workers, and medical students as well as leading Universities. They are calling on the NZ government, the health sector, and all levels of society to make an urgent transition to a low-emissions NZ, in a way that boosts health and creates a fairer society. Full text with signatories - as of April 2018. Media release.
The release of the NZ ‘Call for Action’ coincides with a global day of action by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) and the issuing of a their global Consensus Statement ‘Act now to reduce the damaging health impacts of climate change’ aimed at the UN global climate negotiations in Paris in December.
The Health Organisations that have signed the NZ 'Call for Action' include:
• OraTaiao: The NZ Climate and Health Council
• The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
• The New Zealand Medical Association (NZMA)
• NZ Nurses Organisation
• Health Promotion Forum of NZ
• Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
• NZ College of Public Health Medicine
• NZ College of Midwives
• Public Health Association of NZ
• Colleges of Nurses Aotearoa NZ
• New Zealand Society of Anaesthetists
• The University of Auckland Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
• The University of Otago Division of Health Sciences
• Auckland University Medical Students Association
• Medical Students for Global Awareness
• NZ Medical Students Association
Also, sign the World Health Organization 'Call for urgent action to protect health from climate change'
See Global Climate and Health Alliance 'Our Climate Our Health' campaign here and RACP DoctorsforClimateAction.