HEALTHY CLIMATE ACTION IS FAST, FAIR, FIRM, AND FOUNDED ON TE TIRITI
– PLEASE MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION ON NZ’S ZERO CARBON BILL NOW
Our government is consulting now on the far-reaching Zero Carbon Bill. The Bill is crucial health legislation for New Zealanders now and into the future. This is our chance for real action to protect our health and the health of future generations from climate change.
With just days left, please make your submission now. Our submission guide provides advice on how to make a quick 5 minute submission or a longer full submission.
We know NZ can get huge health and productivity gains from well-designed fast climate action. The sooner we act, the easier the transition and the greater the gains. Wealthy countries, including New Zealand, must share responsibility for climate changes already happening.
As health workers, let’s call now for a fast, fair, firm, Tiriti-founded Zero Carbon Bill - for health’s sake.
Choose how to make YOUR submission:
- Head to zerocarbonbillhealth.org.nz for a quick 5 minute online submission, or complete a full online submission (with healthy suggestions for all 16 questions)
- Write your own submission and email to [email protected] or post to Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington, 6143 Download MfE's submission form here.
If you need further information for writing your own submission, the fully referenced health submission guide can be found here. More about ambitious targets and health win-wins can be found here and here.
Whatever you choose, please make your submission before 5pm Thursday 19 July - and encourage your whānau, workmates, flatmates, friends, nieghbours, colleagues, and professional organisations, to have their say on this far-reaching Bill for our health’s sake.
Every submission counts - let’s make this HUGE for health!
Healthy, fast, fair, firm, and Tiriti-founded Net Zero Carbon Bill
Key health points - New Zealand needs:
- a Zero Carbon Act that’s fast, fair, firm and founded on Te Tiriti, with health and wellbeing at its heart
- a 1.5°C net zero emissions target “by 2040” set in law now (all gases, plus plants and soil)
our Climate Commission to:
- set transparent 5-6 year Emissions Budgets - by considering scientific knowledge, global leadership, and international fairness
- advise on mitigation (including ETS) and adaptation policies that create a fair, just and sustainable Aotearoa-NZ founded on Te Tiriti
- monitor and annually report publicly on New Zealand’s progress in staying within the emissions budgets
- involve Commissioners with diverse experience - including climate science, health and Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Governments can act so NZ emits less - but for ongoing certainty, Budgets only increase by changing the Act.
For a quick 5 minute online submission or a full online submission, please
Thank you for supporting a healthier, fairer future for Aotearoa.